Rogue traders operating in the area
We have received a number of reports of rogue traders operating in this area and would remind residents to be on their guard.
Rogue traders call at your door and offer to do work on your home or garden that will be either unnecessary or vastly over-priced. They often have no formal training to carry out the work. Some have links with distraction burglars.
If you need work carried out on your home or garden, get at least two quotes from reputable companies. If possible, get a recommendation from a friend or neighbour who has used the company and can vouch for them.
If someone does call at your door offering to carry out work, stick to the following advice:
- Don’t agree to any work or sign anything on the spot
- Discuss any work you feel needs carrying out on your property with a relative or friend who can help you find a reputable trader
- Don’t ever go to a bank or cash point with a trader; legitimate traders would never do this
- Don’t allow anyone to pressure you into agreeing to have work carried out. If you ask them to leave and they don’t, call the police on 999
- Contact Trading Standards for more advice and information about rogue traders