Unlawful Encampments In Milton Keynes

Statement from Superintendent Yvette Hitch, LPA Commander Milton Keynes
Unlawful encampments in Milton Keynes

I am very aware that there have been concerns raised by local residents about the presence of unlawful encampments in Milton Keynes and I reassure you that we continue to work proactively with our key partner agencies, including the local authority, to address the issue. The responsibility and legal powers for dealing with unlawful encampments rests with a number of agencies and also the landowner.

There are also a number of powers which the police can use, wherever it is necessary and proportionate to do so:

  • under Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act the police have powers to move unlawful encampments from the land. Specific criteria and aggravating factors need to be present for this power to be applied. This prevents the offender from re-entering the specified area of land as a trespasser within the next 3 months. The legislation does not cover other land in the area and there is no police power to prevent movement onto other land in the Milton Keynes area.
  • under Section 62 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act the police have powers to direct unlawful encampments to designated council sites. However, as there is no provision within the Milton Keynes area for these sites, this power is not available to us.

There are also police powers in relation to crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour which we have and will continue to use when there is evidence of criminal offences being committed.

I have put in place additional police patrols to provide visible reassurance to the community and to deal with any police-related matters. This will be enhanced where required. My neighbourhood teams will continue to work closely with the local community to provide reassurance as required.

We will also continue to work with our partners to support them in exercising their powers such as illegal fly tipping and environmental health issues.

If you do witness any crime, disorder or anti-social behaviour please report it to us using the following methods:

Report a crime or incident online at https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/
101 – non-emergency for reporting something that does not require an immediate police response
999 – for a crime or incident happening at that time and requiring an immediate police response